Thursday, February 27, 2014

Rejection: and how to deal with it

Rejection is something that's difficult no matter how many times you are faced to deal with it. I have been so fortunate that many have supported my work and raised my confidence in my art. Recently, I've had to deal with the old familiar feeling of disappointment in my art, when others feel it isn't up to par.

glasses sketchbook ideas art drawings inspiration
Artists can be the most interesting, weird, creative, and enjoyable people you meet. They can also be the most pretentious. It takes all sorts to make up the world, the art world is not excluded from this. That's not to say that anyone who doesn't enjoy my work is pretentious or wrong. There are so many different styles of art and different aesthetic tastes out there. You simply are not going to make everyone happy. The important thing is to make sure you are happy with the work you are producing. Just because juror did not like the aesthetic appeal I went for, doesn't mean it doesn't catch the fancy of someone else.

I find myself in a field where rejection is just as common as praise. Being a sensitive person, I often wonder if this life is really worth the self-questioning that comes with each lashing remark against my work, my passion, my creative babies. It's hard not to take it personal when you put so much of yourself into what you love.

My pattern of dealing with rejection is get sad, and then get salty. Now maybe the salty part isn't the best piece of advice. It is however, the way it goes. I've tried to harness these feelings for the better by using them as motivation for improvement in my art. If they don't like your craft, just show them you can do better.


I decided to respond to this by starting a new sketchbook. That way I could come up with better ideas and motivate myself to be even better. I cannot stress how important it is to keep one of these, especially since I have recently fallen off of the bandwagon of keeping my thoughts written down. I found the by buying a much more compact sketchbook, one that actually fits in my tiny purse, I am more apt to bring it everywhere with me. Don't just restrict your sketchbook to doodles. Write down inspirational words, or thoughts. I often find myself picking up little trinkets I find on the ground. By bringing tape along wherever you go, or by making little pockets in your sketchbook, you can keep your little knick knacks with you. I sometimes find these little treasure to be the most beautiful things in my sketchbook, and often invoke the most thought.

Remember, you cant make everybody happy, so focus on making sure that YOU are happy with your art. That's why it's YOUR art. Use any critique as an opportunity to improve and motivate yourself. Always approach life from the view as a student, and you will always continue to grow. How do you deal with rejection? What ways do you harness your creative motivation?~




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It